Which PaaS is best for your business?
At first glance, it might look like many PaaS options can meet your needs. A closer look reveals that only a few are true commercial-grade solutions and that significant philosophical and architectural differences exist between them.
Here are some important criteria to keep in mind:
- Open and non-proprietary, with no lock-in
- Meets existing reliability, performance and scalability requirements
- Provides transparency and configurability
- Backed by an organization with deep technical expertise and elite support
You should also ask prospective vendors the following questions:
- What technologies does your PaaS support?
- What stage of development is your PaaS in? Production, beta or pre-beta?
- What does your support model look like?
- What level of scalability, high availability and security do you provide?
- Will your PaaS allow me to quickly and easily extract my data and run my application elsewhere?
Learn more about our PaaS >
Other cloud computing models
Besides PaaS, there are two other primary cloud computing models: infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and software as a service (SaaS).